Intermediary Customer Purchasing from the Product Producer

Obtain Steps: The Obtain steps include all activities preceding the selling of the product. These activities include the costs of identifying potential suppliers and stocking the product.

Experience: Enhance the experience the customer has with the product

2. Associate the company or the product with an image to increase customer pleasure in using the product

Project an image of the or capabilities of the firm

No. SIC Year Note
1 2000 1988 Dean achieved its status with no national brands and little advertising. Dean relies on low-margin markets; private-label makes up 55% of its sales. When Dean buys a company, it preserves the unit's traditional strengths and adds efficiency and scale.
2 2085 2003 From its Smirnoff vodka to J&B scotch to Tanqueray gin, beverage powerhouse Diageo has the products to suit almost any occasion. Where there are gaps, it's happy to invent new categories.
3 5942 2000 Amazon is actually a supplier for Powell. Last year Powell bought 100,000 volumes from it for 22% off list price. Most of Powell's out of print books are from Amazon.
4 6141 2001 75% of AmeriCredit Corp.'s target loans are for used car purchases, a target market of $88 billion a year. The other 25% go to financing new car purchases.
5 7374 2004 Alliance has around 10.5 million users today. "These guys have a unique niche among high-end specialty retailers." Alliance looks to sign four to six new private-label clients next year, a few more than last.
6 7900 2004 The bulk of Univisions's TV programming comes from Grupo Televisa of Mexico, the world's largest Hispanic broadcaster and a major Univision investor. Televisa guarantees Univision a steady supply of Mexican telenovelas and unbeatable prime time ratings.

<<Return to Obtain Steps